An 11-year-old New Jersey girl was electrocuted while playing with friends in a lagoon behind a home Saturday, police said.
The child and two friends were playing with an inflatable raft and swimming in the lagoon with two adults watching them behind a home on Tobago Ave. at around 8 p.m., Toms River police said.
Police said the girls were wearing life jackets at the time.
Two of the girls touched a metal rail and an electric current appeared to have energized the equipment causing the injury, police said.
Arriving officers and emergency responders performed CPR on the child before taking her to the Community Medical Center in Toms River hospital where she was pronounced dead.
The other two girls were evaluated and not injured, police said.
The incident is still under investigation by Toms River Police Department, the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office and the Ocean County Sheriff’s Department.