Mark Halperin is officially out at NBC News

NBC News announced that it has officially terminated the contract of political contributor Mark Halperin.

(Richard Shotwell/Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP)

NBC News announced that it has officially terminated the contract of political contributor Mark Halperin amid the ongoing allegations from women that he sexually harassed and abused them while working at ABC News.

The veteran journalist, 52, was sidelined in his roles with MSNBC and NBC on Thursday after five women told CNN that he propositioned them and inappropriately touched them on Wednesday. HBO — which was planning a miniseries based on Halperin’s reporting of the 2016 presidential campaign — also cut ties with the reporter last week.

Haplerin issued an apology on Twitter on Friday.

Please read my statement below. pic.twitter.com/8ld8k8DC6O

— Mark Halperin (@MarkHalperin) October 27, 2017

“I am profoundly sorry for the pain and anguish I have caused by my past actions. I apologize sincerely to the women I have mistreated,” he wrote. “The world is now publicly acknowledging what so many women have long known: Men harm women in the workplace. The new awareness is, of course, a positive development. For a long time at ABC News, I was part of the problem. I acknowledge that, and I deeply regret it.”

Anthony Rapp claims Kevin Spacey tried to seduce him at 14

The five women who came forward to CNN with their stories accused Halperin of everything from “propositioning employees for sex to kissing and grabbing one’s breasts against her will,” CNN reported. And three of them said he pressed an erection up against them through his clothes.

ABC News journalist Emily Miller, among others, tweeted #MeToo after the allegations against Halperin surfaced.

I did not report Halperin to ABC because I thought I was the only one, and I blamed myself, and I was embarrassed and I was scared of him.

— Emily Miller (@EmilyMiller) October 26, 2017

“I was ANOTHER junior ABC employee he sexually assaulted,” she wrote. “I did not report Halperin to ABC because I thought I was the only one, and I blamed myself, and I was embarrassed and I was scared of him,” she added.

Halperin is not the latest prominent man to be accused of unwanted sexual advances. BuzzFeed News on Sunday published an exclusive interview with “Star Trek: Discovery” star Anthony Rapp, in which he accused Kevin Spacey of propositioning him when he was 14 years old.

Reports similar to the allegations against Haplerin have recently rocked the careers of Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein, former Fox News anchor Bill O’Reilly and the network’s late leader Roger Ailes, screenwriter James Toback and fashion photographer Terry Richardson.

Sign up for BREAKING NEWS Emails

Thanks for subscribing!

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet